The Moon

On Saturday night, it did appear that a near full Harvest moon was shining to light our path.  Anna Cate said on the way home from a party, "is the moon walking home to follow us?" That innocent assumption that the moon would follow us home is that piece of a child's understanding that is both endearing and challenging.  It is endearing that she thinks something as big as the moon would follow someone as small as she. It is challenging that as we prepared for our day Saturday, we left the house at 9 so that I could go to the gym, then take Anna Cate and schlepp Molly to a soccer game, then off for a 6 year old birthday party and Anna Cate said, "I'd like to skip the gym," to which I replied, "of course you would because it is the only thing we are doing for Mommy today!"  But back to the endearing.

Last week, we celebrated an engagement party for BJ's brother and his dear fiance, Sarah.

It was at the same home where BJ and mine was. Some things have changed and missing the presence of Greg and BJ's mother was as distinct as was the cheer of the children in this multi-generation friendship.

At the end of the evening, an angel was pointed out in the party to represent Susie's presence and when I asked Anna Cate for whom she thought the angel was, she said, "My Grammy."  She hears about angels, she knows the joys of friendships that are bigger than life so maybe that is why she thinks the moon would take a walk just for her. She has people in her life who make her feel significant.

I'm thankful for the light, the moon, the frienships and the perspective I get from her. Maybe the moon doesn't follow us, but it does seem like good times, dear friends and maybe even an angel may.


When I first got our minivan, my brother chided me about totally "throwing in the towel on the cool factor." I realized when your life revolved around your milk supply and a nap schedule, I'd already lost the cool factor.  Last week a student asked me what type of car I drove and I said, "a minivan" and he said "oh you are a soccer Mom" and on Saturdays, I am.

Anna Cate has started a developmental league and we've already had two "games."The first half of the experience is drills conducted by a high school soccer team.


It really is fun, and I realize that being cool is all about perspective because I used to sort of dread Saturday morning activity phase of life, but the crisp air and new friends and families just trying to create good times for their kids is a lot of fun. The first Saturday, BJ had the Saturday off to enjoy the morning together.


 But for the record, some moms are cool and soccer Moms, and that is not me and it was quite evident the second Saturday (sans BJ).  On the way to the field, Molly spilled a smoothie on herself, we lost a ball that I knew was in the van. After the game, only after I got back to the car with very active and tired one year old did I realize I left my keys on the field so Anna Cate had to run back to the field for me.  In the meantime I found the ball that had rolled out of the car, down the hill.

I think I was ok with the minivan because I never really was "cool." One day these two will realize how uncool their Mom is....Yet for now, a Friday afternoon jaunt to the park rates high.

I love this stage of humanity where posing for joy paramounts self-consciousness.
where knee socks are vogue.

Where taking the steps to go down a slide are self-confidence boosters.

When crossing the monkey bars is a sign of strength that we talk about for days.

Where moments at the end of the slide bring this Mama to my knees for the picture of the sunlight on their faces.

Figuratively, I should spend more time on my knees in gratitude. I'm finding this stage of life so busy and to be honest, sometimes I feel drained and like a hamster on that wheel of getting it all done to do the same thing the next day.  Yet like the farmer who has the harvest moon providing light, I have the joy of a dear family and good friends to provide all the light I need. Who needs free time when my days of full of so much light?


"Smoke hangs like haze over harvested fields,
The gold of stubble, the brown of turned earth
And you walk under the red light of fall
The scent of fallen apples, the dust of threshed grain
The sharp, gentle chill of fall.
Here as we move into the shadows of autumn
The night that brings the morning of spring
Come to us, Lord of Harvest
Teach us to be thankful for the gifts you bring us ..."
-  Autumn Equinox Ritual

Comments

Whitney said…
So well written. Who would have thought the mundane things in life would have so much meaning!

Also, BJ looks GREAT! I am so proud of him.

Love to you all!