Community

“What should young people do with their lives today? Many things, obviously. But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured.”  ― Kurt Vonnegut

One of the things that I things my kids might be missing out on is a sense of community.  I love all that suburbia has to offer but I get disgruntled by the lack of character. Like I've said before here, I think the character lies in small towns or in the cities and the in-between is just sort of blah.

However, I know that character comes from within and community forms wherever people are gathered.  Character appears where you look for it, and characters to be enjoyed. Summer experiences with church and our community swim team remind me that we do have community.

The girls participated in Vacation Bible School last week and seeing their (as well as all the other kids) enthusiasm brings back such happy memories of childhood. We didn't have loud speakers to sing the songs but the joy for the Spirit is pretty much the same.


The playing and activities were fabulous, but clearly the songs are what makes Vacation Bible School so special.  On the first afternoon, we were home baking and the girls broke out in song.

The girls feel so comfortable at church as you can see them having a picnic lunch in Patti's office. I packed their lunch so we could leave straight to the gym. Mama's got get a work out. 

Swim team.....

The team needed to raise money so they hosted a swim-a-thon. Anna Cate's goal was to do 20 laps, which I doubted she would complete. I sent a text to close friends saying something like, "I just want Anna Cate to feel inspired to swim and a part of her team so if you would pledge just a nickel, you'd give her a $1. Her goal is 20 laps." Well, our sweet friends came in with generous pledges and Anna Cate swam one evening by herself with her coach and swam 40 laps, non stop. I think she did it for her team. She understands community.



Aunt Sarah came to cheer her on and wrote a check 

We had our final home meet last night and enjoyed an undefeated season. Here is Anna Cate with her buddy who cheers her on as well as brings her treats before a meet.

 Anna Cate checks in with her coaches before each event and I love listening to the tips.



As Anna Cate headed to her event, I caught this picture of our friend Michelle, another swim team mom, as she tucked her hair into the cap. . .the details of community.

In reflecting on our experiences of the summer, I'm comforted knowing that our girls are growing up in some sort of community with their fellow man. I'm reminded of the old Testament verse, "We drink from wells we did not dig; we are warmed by fires we did not kindle." I find myself so grateful for the servants who create such experiences, and hope I do enough to take care of the wells and fires of our communities even if it doesn't look exactly what like what I had. 




Comments