On the end of the school year...

Life has taught me to never say never, find irony in the unexpected, live in the moment (not FOR the moment), embrace accept the challenge, understand that there is no perfect decision, trust the process, and in all things BE GRATEFUL! This school year has certainly given me the chance to witness these lessons in the daily happenings of our family. 

No perfect decision. . . 

Last year, it was apparent to me that I was not a fit for where I was teaching, and I realized that I first needed to "sit with it" and wait for what to do next. So at the semester's end at mid-year, I left and accepted a position at a high school 50 minutes away teaching US History. I had not taught high school since I was 26, and was a little nervous but I knew it was the right thing for me, my mental health, my family, and my career. I am sure years ago I would have said, "I would never leave mid-year" but life continues to teach me to not say never. It has been an absolute God-send and I have lucked out with a fabulous department of co-teachers and have been reminded of why so many people through the years have said, "Sarah, why aren't you teaching high school?"  Independence High school has over 1800 students and as Molly says the commons/cafeteria area looks like an airport. It can be intimidating but one breath at a time helped me. 

When I made this move, it was not the plan for Anna Cate to come with me. As a family, we anticipated that we would take it one year at a time. She said, "Mom, please don't make me be the new kid again." She was flourishing at her school, where I graduated -- Hickman County High School.  She played volleyball and basketball here, finished in the top ten of her class, and was student body president for 9th grade. BUT over the days and weeks, I just couldn't help but think of all the classes and opportunities she could have at a school this large, so I planted the seed with her and BJ.  But all along, I know that there is no perfect decision, there is no right or wrong. Yet I am so grateful that on their spring break trip, Anna Cate and BJ had the chance to talk without me around and they decided that she would come to Independence for 10th grade. 

So this Spring, when she had her basketball banquet we enjoyed the moment knowing next year would be different. 


In May, she tried out for the basketball team at her new school and made the team. She admitted it was hard... that it was harder socially than it was physically.  It isn't exactly true that she doesn't have friends -- her dear friend Claudia also goes there and plays on the team, but Claudia is recovering from an injury so she isn't on the court with Anna Cate. 
After the first day, Claudia gave her "shirt off her back" so Anna Cate had an "Indy" shirt for a picture....that is a friend!
 

Live in the moment.....Trust the process

Through tears, she said,  it was so odd and I was uncomfortable. "Things are never hard for me socially...and that's why it is so hard!"  I mused on my teacher/mother blog about the value of letting our kids have hard times, but it is still hard to endure. So, I said, "ok -- this is what you tell yourself -- 'this is what this moment feels like.....this is what it feels like to be the outsider; I am a total badass that I can be the new kid and not have friends.'" 

She went back the next day. She said she felt so much better and her energy was just so much lighter. 

I told her that she can tell people years from now..."My mom made me be the new kid twice --once in high school!" I said I am sorry that it has worked out like this and she said "the right thing is not always the easy thing." It stops me in my tracks when my children reflect back to me such wisdom I have tried to impart. So yesterday, I snapped this picture of her walking into practice at a big unknown school and thought just how proud I am... and grateful. 

The irony....

Molly had a wonderful 5th-grade year.  She finished Junior Pro with her uncle and Dad as her coach. She and my brother Douglas are so much alike! This summer she is a pitcher and catcher for her softball team. She prefers catching but pitches when she has to. 


The first Saturday 


 She made both the basketball and volleyball teams for next year. Her sports mean a lot of summer-scheduled practices to work around her first love, which is horseback riding. 



I think I would have felt this way without the abnormality of 2020, but I find myself just so grateful for the opportunities my kids have to be engaged with activities to learn lessons and responsibilities. 







 


Comments