Western Vacation 2021.

“Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.” ― John Muir


This summer's vacation was epic in so many ways, so as I snapped this last picture I knew we would be sad but grateful to have been welcomed to the mountains.. . .

We got the chance to spend two weeks out west -- we are not 2week-vacation people, but since we didn't do a trip last year because of COVID and BJ's surgery, we used a credit with VRBO and got to spend one week in New Mexico with BJ's family 

and one week with mine in Durango, Colorado. 


I tried to take so many pictures of the beautiful landscapes, but the photos just don't do justice to the beauty of both New Mexico and Colorado. 



















In addition to the beautiful landscape, being in a different area of the country is so good for growth. I was blown away by how much I did NOT know about the history of New Mexico. The convergence of Native and Spanish history was eye-opening for me. In New Mexico, we stayed near Taos (an artist community) and we spent a day in Santa Fe and I learned a lot! 

We did a walking tour -- totally worth it to have someone else teach you about the city.




This mission church is older than The Declaration of Independence.

The girls and BJ got the chance to fly fish in both states. One day they took their 5 year old cousin Graham.















For me, it was such a treat to get to run so much outside...some days, with Anna Cate. She loves to run on the treadmill but is not a fan of outdoor running. She is MUCH faster than I am, 


But in the high elevation, my yoga breathing helped me catch up at times.






We hiked and enjoyed the family time the most. 
 










Both girls did a trail ride in Durango. 


















We took a scenic train ride in Colorado with Kitty, Talluluah, Nana & Daddy Doug. 

I had nothing to do with choosing where to go, but am very grateful for family who knows where to go for a beautiful time! 

Becki and Douglas really know what they are doing when it comes to fly fishing!
One day in New Mexico, we hiked up to this beautiful lake and I told the girls.... we may not take you to Disney World, but I think these types of vacations are pretty special too! 
From hiking to fly fishing and a lot of beautiful scenery and family time, the memories are treasured! 

And for the record, 15 and 11 are delightful ages for travel. We are so grateful! 





“Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.”
― John Muir

Comments